Mabou Mines’ performance initiative SUITE/Space, now in its third year, provides artistic advisement, rehearsal space, and public performances in our state-of-the-art, 99-seat theater to artists of color that share Mabou Mines’ commitment to breaking new ground in form and content.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
SUITE/Space is open to artists of color from historically underrepresented communities who exhibit a commitment to experimentation and a collaborative creative process. Multimedia, music, dance, theater, and cross-disciplinary projects are accepted. Proposed projects should be either previously produced or performance ready.
The 2020 SUITE/Space Program will run from November 2019 –February 2020. Submissions open on September 4, 2019 and proposals are due by September 25th, 2019 at midnight. Two artists will be selected and notified in late October. Final performances will take place February 18-23, 2020.
SUITE/Space ARTISTS RECEIVE:
- A $ 2,500 stipend and a 50-50 box office split.
- 30 hours of rehearsal space in Mabou Mines’ sunlit studio in the East Village.
- Technical and administrative support.
- Studio visits with the program’s artistic advisors.
- 10 hours of technical rehearsal in the theater.
- Three SUITE/Space performances in a festival-like setting at Mabou Mines.
EXPECTATIONS FOR SUITE/Space ARTISTS
- Attend all monthly group meetings, schedule will be confirmed on the first meeting date.
- Provide Mabou Mines’ technical director with tech specs of the project at the start of the program.
- Participate in joint marketing efforts including Facebook posts and an artist takeover of Mabou Mines Instagram.
To apply please send the below materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 25, 2019 at midnight.
*Note: DO NOT submit pertinent application information in the body of your email. All links should be included within the attached application document; information within the text of your email may not be included with your application and may not be reviewed.
Including all parts of the application as one file/document is greatly appreciated.
- A two-page description of your project with an artist’s statement on why you think your project would be a good fit at Mabou Mines. Include one paragraph Specifying what you need to take your project to the next level.
- Resume of the lead artist/company and any key collaborators.
- Video work sample (max 4 min) preferably of the proposed work. If no documentation of the proposed work is available, please substitute with a video of another representative work. We also appreciate website links and any other supporting material you would like to include.
- Outline your basic technical needs for the project (projections, sound, lighting, dance floor etc.) Indicate whether you are working with designers.
- List collaborators and other key team members
- Explain how you will contribute to the marketing efforts for the program.
- Provide project history including previous development, residencies, readings and showings.