Mabou Mines’ new performance initiative SUITE/Space
provides artistic mentorship, rehearsal space, and public performances in our new 99-seat theater to artists that reflect NYC’s rich cultural landscape and share Mabou Mines’ commitment to breaking new ground in form and content.
Who is eligible
SUITE/Space is open to artists from historically underrepresented racial and ethnic communities, especially those from the outer-boroughs of NYC, who exhibit a commitment to experimentation and a collaborative creative process. Multimedia, music, dance, theater, and cross-disciplinary projects are accepted.
Proposed projects should be either near production ready our previously produced.
The 2019 SUITE/Space Program will run from September 2018 – January/February 2019. Submissions open on June 1, 2018 and proposals are due by July 2, 2018. Four artists will be selected and notified in July/August 2018.
What SUITE/Space Artists Receive:
- A $ 3,000 stipend and a 50-50 box office split.
- 30 hours of rehearsal space in Mabou Mines’ sunlit studio in the East Village.
- Technical and administrative support.
- Studio visits with the program’s artistic advisors.
- 10 hours of technical rehearsal in the theater.
- Three SUITE/Space performances in a festival-like setting at Mabou Mines.
Expectations for SUITE/Space Artists
- Attend all group meetings, held once a month beginning in October.
- Provide Mabou Mines’ technical director with tech specs of the project at the start of the program.
- Participate in joint marketing efforts including facebook posts and artist takeover of Mabou Mines Instagram.
To apply please send the below materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 2, 2018.
*Note: DO NOT submit pertinent application information in the body of your email. All links should be included within the attached application document; information within the text of your email may not be included with your application and may not be reviewed.
Including all parts of the application as one file/document is greatly appreciated.
- Your contact information: email, phone number, website (if applicable).
- Resume(s) of the lead artist/company and/or collaborators.
- Describe your project (max 2 pages). Please include: discipline, number of collaborators and their roles, development/performance history.
- An artist statement describing why your project is a good fit for Mabou Mines and what you need to take your project to the next level.
- Video work sample (max 4 mins), preferably of the proposed work. If no documentation of the proposed work is available, please substitute with a video of another representative work. We also appreciate website links and any other supporting material you would like to include.
- Outline your basic technical needs for the project (projections, sound, lighting, dance floor etc.)